Deadline: April 15, 2017
Judge: ZZ Packer
Entries for the Emerging Writer's Prize in Fiction should be a single prose work not exceeding 7,500 words. We will accept submissions both via Submittable and via postal mail. Entrants may submit more than once or in more than one genre, but each new entry must be accompanied by a separate $20 entry fee.
Contest Guidelines for Online Submissions
- Click here for online submissions accepted via Gulf Coast’s Submittable
- Submit your work as a single .doc, .docx, or .pdf file.
- Only previously unpublished work will be considered.
- The contest will be judged blindly, so please do not include your cover letter, your name, or any contact information in the uploaded document. This information should only be pasted in the “Comments” field.
- Submittable accepts all major credit cards for the $20 entry fee, which includes a one-year subscription to Gulf Coast.
ZZ PACKER, 2017 JUDGE
ZZ Packer’s collection Drinking Coffee Elsewhere was published in 2003. Her stories have appeared in The New Yorker (where she was launched as a debut writer), Harper’s, and Story, have been published in The Best American Short Stories, and have been read on NPR’s Selected Shorts. Packer is the recipient of a Rona Jaffe Foundation Writers’ Award. A graduate of Yale, the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, and the Writing Seminar at Johns Hopkins University, she has been a Wallace Stegner-Truman Capote fellow at Stanford University and currently teaches at San Francisco State University